Thursday 19 April 2012

Fashion Show

So my college fashion is coming up at the end of may but as I'm only a first year it's not really that important for me until next year when I reach my second year when I have to have 3 catwalk outfits which link in with a theme and the brief in such a small amount of time. But im still dead excited as iv always wanted to organise big fashion events as a career and as i don't feel comfortable modelling I will be helping behind scenes. So this year I have a chance to have 2 pieces to go down the catwalk but only 16 students of first years gets chosen so fingers crossed. Will do another post after with fashion show clips and photos.

My first brief is a 60's dress and after only a few minutes researching I automatically realised what I wanted to make. The colour scheme is black White orange and turquoise. I choose black and white as it's simple yet effective and looks expensive when put together. Here is some inspiring 60's photos: My design is inspired many by these pictures:





 Using the bow collar neckline of the upper picture and the Paris Hilton dress with the black and White panels. Iv mixed up my design with modern ways as unlike the typical 60's dress my design like paris's is very boxy and short. Here is my mock up of my dress which will be shortened more and adding little slip pocket on each black panel.

 My second brief is a corset/bodice which had to be Inspired by a artist in some sort and had to start with White cotton so if you wanted to use colour you would ave to dye or use printing techniques. I chose bridget Riley as my artist, who focused on black and White illusions. Here is some of her work:


 I didn't click on with what I wanted to do until just recently so I felt very negative about the brief. Although my design is picking up now and my mock up is done (very badly) I have cut out my fabric and died panels black. I decide on a long bodice dress with a zip running all the way down the front, one side will be black and the other side will be White, making this more interesting iv decided to make a cape that I was going to print one of bridgets illusions on, however I attempted yesterday and the design wasn't printed clear enough so it lost it effect so I changed my design to a cape which was black with White underneath and will embroid it somehow. It will not be fitted onto the dress but just tied in a bow along the neck. (picture of the mock added tomorrow)

1 comment:

  1. im claiming your dress when finished :) love georgina xxx

    ReplyDelete